Citymart is a New York-based global technology company that empowers city officials to better serve their communities through access to data, insights, and peers. Following best practices developed with leading cities around the world, Citymart technology revolutionizes the way cities frame needs, complete procurement, and improve service delivery—providing expert support along the way.
Citymart already operates the world's largest database of urban solutions and seeks to exponentially grow this into a first class decision-making resource for city governments as part of our proven workflows.
Citymart is backed by the world’s leading impact investors and philanthropies, including Nordic Impact, Omidyar Network, Bloomberg Philanthropies, and The Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities program.
We are looking for a Research Manager to join our growing team in New York City.
You will have experience working with cities, governments or urban services. This role has the opportunity to influence the decisions cities take when solving problems, designing public services and public procurements resulting in better quality of life for hundreds of thousands of citizens. This role reports to Citymart's CEO.
You must be someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment. You are passionate about helping cities, analytical, creative, independent, focused, and an excellent problem solver. You must have the ability to work with cross-functional teams, shape and contribute to Citymart strategy, and identify product needs.
Ideally, you have experience identifying avenues for research and managing a research process in the urban innovation space. You are able to see the big picture, identify goals, and effectively assign roles for other researchers to play in bringing data on urban solutions into the Citymart platform.
Ideally, you also have a knack for working with data sets and have experience securing and automating data transfers. You are adept at identifying what data is most relevant to users, and you are committed to making Citymart data the most useful source of solution information for cities anywhere. You are articulate in written format but feel just as comfortable spending the day with spreadsheets or datasets. You like building things and then testing how well they work, and you are not afraid to admit when something is not working. You have a passion for cities and the public servants who shape them.
- Identify target areas for research on urban solutions, with an eye to large datasets rather than piecemeal work;
- Develop a research plan and process with clear goals to exponentially grow Citymart's urban solutions data;
- Manage contract researchers to achieve research goals;
- Find long-term data sources and establish pathways to connect that data with Citymart;
- Analyze data to determine gaps and needs, and then create plans to to fill them;
- Generate solution overviews for city clients to give them a snapshot of possible solutions to a problem they face;
- Identify opportunities for automation in the data transfer process in order to bring in as many solutions as possible;
- Test new data transfer ideas and then roll-out successful measures;
- Use a metrics-based approach to evaluate and improve the impact of your actions
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience;
- Passion for cities and improving government;
- Experience developing research plans and processes;
- Proven track record in delegating and supervising tasks;
- Strong data analysis skills and experience to provide qualified expert input;
- Excellent writing and communication skills targeting professional audiences;
- Experience in using methods such as A/B testing; collecting and working with relevant metrics to learn fast and continually improve results.
Bonus points for:
- Experience managing contract researchers;
- Experience in early stage start-ups;
- Experience in working with urban problems;
- Experience with govtech, social entrepreneurship and the broader innovation ecosystem;
- Knowledge of Python, data management and data vizualization tools.